- posted by Jennifer
- Cory and I went to Mendocino a weekend back in order to....well for no reason at all. Just to relax. And it was wonderful. All the following photos were taken with the new iPhone 4s as I didn't want to take my normal camera gear. R&R remember!
The first night we were there, we sat outside at a restaurant, with a glass of wine and some cheese and enjoyed the sunset.
- The cheese platter had some figs on it. And I loved them! (I'm obsessed with food these days - more about that in the coming weeks - and no I'm not pregnant!).
- I wanted to test out the zoom capability of the new iPhone, with the 3Gs it sucked. But this isn't too shabby at all.
- For breakfast the next morning, I had the most scrumptious blueberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast. YUMMY!
- After breakfast, we started driving North and came across the Point Cabrillo Light Station exit and we turned off. It was a perfect weather day: a bit chilly but nice enough for just a t-shirt.
- This was taken on the grounds of the light station.
- And of course the light house itself. One must walk down the hill from the parking lot to get to the light house and we spotted deer in the fields on our walk. My brother-in-law would have been proud that I spotted the deer before Cory and just by the ears alone showing off in the distance.
- Then we headed up to Fort Bragg....and to Glass Beach. While the beach, water, air, sun, waves, everything was fantastic- I was disappointed that the "glass" description of the stones on the beach are none existent. They should revise how they tout this beach and say "it used to" be a beach with many colored and polished glass stones created by the years of the waves co-mingled with trash (glass bottles thrown into the ocean) crashing against the shorelines.
- It was nice to have the beach almost to ourselves.
- In the afternoon, we headed back to our B&B and while Cory took a nap, I ordered a glass of wine and sat on the deck and read my newly purchased used book from the Mendocino used book store. I love used book stores! I couldn't pass up buying a new book. I'm reading Fahrenheit 451. I've never read it before and I'm loving it.
- After our afternoon break, we headed back up to Fort Bragg to hit the North Coast Brewery Co. for some dinner and beer tasting. I sent this photo to my sister and told her we were playing tic-tac-toe with beer. She replied "I want to be the O's". Such a smart girl.
- For dinner, I had the Beet and Goat Cheese plate, and Cory had their Nachos. There is a family joke re: nachos (from when we were in England this year) and almost at any brew pub we have to order them.
I do plan in the off season to post the rest of England/Scotland pictures. And I'll share the Nacho joke.
- I ended up selecting a beer that came in such a glass....probably because it was almost 10% alcohol.
- The next morning, while we were sitting in the B&B restaurant dining room, I snapped this photo of the outside, but what I love about it is that I can see Cory in the reflection drinking his coffee. (look in the lower right corner)
- Seriously, does this breakfast not look perfect? It was! I ate every bite. The home-made scone was to die for.
- Oh...the part of the trip I forgot to mention thus far. Cory recently bought a motorcycle. And the night before we were to head to Mendocino, he sprung it on me that he would LOVE to ride his bike. But of course that would mean I'd have to follow in the car by myself. I told him it wasn't exactly what I had in mind for some R&R, and he (wisely) said it wasn't a big deal and we could drive together. I think he's catching on - how to get what he wants by playing it down and adding on some sugar. :-) Anyway, as you can see, I let him ride his bike. (and yes, I do mean I let him).
- We stopped a few times along the way just for a break. I love this photo of Cory! While I can't see his mouth, I know he's smiling from ear to ear.
- I was negligent last week in writing my Tuesday "photo of the week" column. I meant to get this post up last week. So this is to make up for it.
The photo-of-the-week column will be changing. More on that tomorrow.